Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's a Potatoe Secret!

There is a secret to making the BEST potatoes! My years in College helped me get to know the POTATOE really well!  It was my basic food staple, I had it almost every night!  Too bad I thought I knew how to cook potatoes, when I really didn't!
Here is the SECRET!!!  DON'T WRAP THEM IN TINFOIL TO COOK!
For years I would wrap up those little spuds and throw them into the oven to cook.  Not realizing that I was steaming the yuck into them! 
What is the best way to cook a yummy, restaurant quality baked potatoe?

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Wash and pat dry the potatoes.
Puncture holes all over.
Rub oil over the skins. 
Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.

Put them on a baking sheet, and bake in the oven for one hour.
I like to turn them over about the 1/2 hour mark.(if I remember)

The potatoes come out yummy and soft on the inside, and crispy on the outside.
Now you can wrap them in tinfoil to keep them warm.

(Wraping them in tinfoil STEAMS the potatoe, which makes a crumbly, icky consistancy.)

Twice Baked Potatoes
Cook the potatoes like above.

Remove from oven after an hour, let cool slighly.   Cut open lengthwise and scoop out insides.
Put insides in a bowl and mix with milk(or Soy Milk), butter, sour cream, salt and pepper until creamy consistency. Scoop back into potato hulls, top with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped bacon bits(not the one in the container) and bake until cheese melts.  Remove from oven add sour cream, and chopped scallions on top!
(my favorite fat free Sour Cream is called "Naturally Yours Fat Free Sour Cream."  The container looks like a black and white spotted cow, so you can't miss it!  It is the BEST fat free sour cream, the others are just yucky! 

If you have left over baked potatoes, they are baked up the next day as "Fried Potatoes."  My dad used to fry up these potatoes almost weekly.   I actually cook up extra baked potatoes so I can fry them up or use them as hashbrowns in the mornings.

 Put a thin layer of oil in a pan, and put it on medium heat.   Take the potatoes and thinly slice them up diagnoally, then place them into the pan.  Let them fry up until golden brown. 

Other things to do with potatoes:
Baked Potatoe bar: Bacon, sour cream, scallions, cheese, chilli, brocclie, Chicken, or any other yummy things.

Hope you enjoy making some yummy potatoes!
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment