Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Stay Put Sheet Design!

Many mornings my kids beds look like they slept in a tornado.  The sheets are swirled around in a huge twist and completely untucked from the bottom of the bed.  The morning re-making of beds, by retucking and repositoning sheets has been frustrating.  Asking the kids to make their beds was pretty much impossible. They are still a little to young to understand how to tuck in the bottom of the top sheet. 
A few months ago I started thinking of how I could make it easy to keep my boys sheets tucked in.  Something that would work even with their all night pulling and tugging.  My first attempt was with store bought corner sheet elastic snaps.  They didn't work! Not even for one night, and were a pain to put back on when they came off.   Several evenings I worked on designs, ways to place elastic, extra fabric, or velcro to hold those sheets in place.   There were 5 attempts at making my kids sheets stay in place!  None worked until..... NOW!!!!!!
I figured it out with my "Stay Put Sheet Design!"   It is SO EASY, it is just sewing a small pocket in the bottom of the sheets!
A design that finally works!!!  Not only does it work, it is so super easy to make and so simple and easy to use!
Asking my kids to make their bed is now a dream!  The bottoms of my boys sheets stay tucked in, which makes it easy for them to make their own beds.
So here is the trick.
The idea is simple.   Without adding extra material, you are simply sewing a pocket at the bottom of the top sheet.  The pocket hooks over the bottom/foot end of the mattress.
To do this, place the top sheet on bed and set the upper edge of the sheet about 3 to 4  inches down from the top of the bed.  At the lenght you would put it if you were making the bed.
With the sheet sitting with the top exactly where you would want it,  go to the bottom of the mattress.  The top sheet will fall down the thickness of the mattress, this is the part you usually tuck under the foot end of the mattress.   Mark on the sheet where it hits 1/2 way down on the thickness of the mattress.   I like to use a safty pin, but you can use a marker or what ever you like.  This is the point you are going to fold over and start sewing from, and make a small pocket for your mattress to sit in.   The part you are marking is the bottom of the pocket. 



I  used a safty pin to mark the "fold over" point.  Whatever this distance is, make a mark on the other side of the foot side of the sheet.  The points you are marking are where you will fold over the material. You want them to be the exact same length at the foot of the sheet.  Fold over the sheet at the point marked.  Sew a straight stich from the mark point up to the top of the folder over point. Do this along the left and then on right side of the sheet, creating a pocket.
 I like to have the print inside the sheets when I make the beds, so I put my print on the outside as I am sewing.  After sewing, you turn the sheet back right side out.  As you make the bed, the sewing cannot be seen as it is hidden inside the sheet pocket. 



Here you can see the sheet is sewn together just on the edges.  For a twin sheet you will sew about 14 inches or so on each side.  After you have sewn both sides, turn it inside out.  You should have a nice little pocket on the foot end of your sheet.
Now that the sheet is sewn together on both sides making a pocket, you simply make the bed as usual.  The bottom of your sheet has a nice little pocket to snug around the bottom of the mattress.
With this design my kids sheets will not come untucked from the bottom!  It is easy to make and unmake the bed with out velcro, or extra fabric
YEA!
PS I HAVE NOT USED THIS DESIGN FOR ANY LARGER SIZE MATTRESS.  YOU WILL NEED ENOUGH FABRIC TO TUCK IT UNDER THE MATTRESS.
Hope you like it as much as I do!!!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'll have to try that on my own kids sheets sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. How do these do in the washing machine? I imagine that they might get pretty tangled up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm while getting busy with all that fabrication you could use a drawstring around the edge to really make a tight adjustable sheet. You can use this design:

    http://www.drawstringsheet.com/

    ReplyDelete